This post was inspired by Steve Dembo’s recent post entitled – What I learned from Twitter Today. Steve chronicled the learning and connections that he experienced in 12 hours on Twitter.
Each day I have the privilege of listening to and learning from some of the greatest minds on the planet. In TWELVE minutes, look at what I discovered:
- Kiva is one of my favorite charitable organizations,providing small donation loans to budding entrepreneurs in developing countries. @KarlFisch has challenged Edubloggers to join Team Kiva as we unite to make change the world in big and small ways. I am thankful to @JoyMcleary and @ChrisLehman for the spreading the word in their Tweets about this amazing project.
- @Linda704-shared the top Educational Stories of 2008-a fantastic ASCD publication
- @ThePowerOracle keeps me up to date on current news-sharing this late breaking story of Illinois Governer arrested for trying to steal President-Elect Obama’s Senate seat. WOW!
- I faithfully follow @Mashable for my minute-by-minute updates in the world of social media – Found out today that you can search Facebook by color, shape, and keyword! How cool is that?
- Almost everybody follows @problogger for posts like this: New at Reasons to Start a New Blog http://twurl.nl/qfa50s
- EdWeek is a must follow for Educators, they blogged today about Early childhood Educaiton and inclusion asking readers to share thoughts on what it should look like.
- Twitter is also my number one place for non-education related news like this just in from @studio3b – Today is the day that the Iowa Supreme Court is hearing arguments that could make same-sex marriage legal in Iowa.-I did not know this, and I live in Iowa!!!
- Wonder where I find out about the best new Web tools and Gagets? It is with Tweets like this from @stuartmcintyre – announcing Channel Webs Best of 2008 on the Web-check out this new desktop application!
- I was so thrilled to get this Tweet on NCTE’s 21st Centruy Literacies Reports from @MrBass – I ReTweeted it for all my readers!
- I get the latest blog posts from my favorite bloggers like @coolcatteacher – Her post today is on her FlatClassroom project
- My Alltop friend, @guykawasaki is never without a golden tweet to share- Today’s gem was a look at the Best Viral Videos of 2008 from Time Magazine and CNN
- Of course, I hear fun things too, like Teacher Recess or a funny list of the most misprounounced words from @dialogicmed – (just in case you were dying to know).
- Oh, and then every once in a while you get a feel good-make you smile-make you love your job Tweet like this from my Twitter friend @moerickson: @AngelaMaiers you are an amazing, amazing wealth of information!! thanks (Awh Shucks!)
The best news of all, this wealth of learning happened not only in this 12 minutes, it is available and accessible to anyone twenty four hours a day, seven days a week! Ohhh did I mention this is all free?
So, what are you waiting for? You can be one of Twitter’s Five Million users (just got that nifty fact from @danschawbel latest Tweet). I am so glad that I am one of them, how about you??
Think of what 12 minutes can do for your world!
- My Twitter Engagement Formula
- New To Twitter-Let Mr. Tweet Help
- Spreadsheet of Educators on Twitter
- Twitter as a Community of Practice